Monday, May 23, 2011

Week in Training

A low volume week this week, partly because of weather but mostly because I didn't do any biking to focus on the running.  I've had a hamstring issue brewing for some time now and it's a result of the piriformis being messed up.  Ironically my piriformis was doing better this week but the hamstring was much worse.  The chiro/p.t. diagnosed a hamstring strain, I go in again today for some p.t. (ultrasound and exercises/homework).  He thinks it should take 2 weeks to heal, not too bad as far as injuries go but it is painful to bend down.  At least my back is getting some relief from the piriformis being better.

Turns out Training Peaks is offering a free 8 week training program to competitors signed up for the Indian Peaks Xterra .  I had been snooping around for a free training plan for Xterra to get some general guidelines for reasonable amount of time/mileage to get in so this was perfect timing.  It uses heart rate zones for some of the workouts and as it happens I had a free VO2 max. test last year when I volunteered for a research experiment on exercise up at the university.  It's been so long since I've monkeyed around with the heart rate monitor, I'm sure it needs new batteries.  Not sure how crazy I'll get with it.  One the one hand it's kind of fun to try to follow a training program and use the monitor to see how it effects your improvement.  On the other hand it can suck the fun right out of everything and nobody's paying me to do this for a living.  I think I'm going to give it a go anyway, could be fun and it's only 8 weeks.  My hamstring should be healed in time to start the program.

Swim: 8100 yards/3 hours, 23 mins.

Mountain bike: None

Run: 6.75 miles/1 hour 37 mins. of 8 mins. run/1 min. walk

Total training time: 5 hours, 0 mins.

119.0 lbs (-1.5 lbs)  Yay!  Finally below 120.  3 more lbs. to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment