Had a fun handling practice this morning in the wind. I felt like I was doing o.k. and handling things smoothly, thinking about things but not overthinking. Then I got home and saw the video and realized how many mistakes there were. Oh well, I had fun anyway. We had some back sides of jumps in Exercise #1 and a threadle in Exercise #3 that took me a while to recognize as a threadle. I struggled with it a bit then realized, duh, it's a threadle and once I handled it like a threadle it was no problemo.
I probably should have stopped at the coffee shop on the way to practice, apparently I'm still a little out of it at 8:30 a.m. on a Sunday.
Dogwalk practice this week went downhill once again but I changed the set-up and expected a degradation on the behavior. I replaced the jump at the end of the dogwalk with a tunnel and this has always been a problem for Strummer. I have lots of theories about the why of it but not so many about how to fix it other than to keep at it until he gets it. These videos go back in time as you go down the post. I'm mostly posting them for myself, nothing too impressive to see in any of them. I'm hoping he starts getting it next week or I may go back to the jump just so he can have some success again. Next trial is in 3 weeks, ugh. I was so sure I'd have this fixed by now.
Friday, April 15
8/15 (53%) total
8/10 (80%) backchained
0/5 (0%) full
Wednesday April 13
8/12 (67%) total
5/6 (83%) low dogwalk
3/4 (75%) low dogwalk backchained
2/2 (100%) low dogwalk full
3/6 (50%) regular dogwalk
2/5 (40%) regular dogwalk backchained
1/1 (100%) regular dogwalk full
The dogwalk was lowered when I got to the training field so I thought I'd see if he would have problems with the low dogwalk. He did great and what that tells me is that he does have a good foundation. These stats aren't accurate either because I had some technical problems with the camera and I missed a good chunk of practice on the high dogwalk that did not go well. One of the more frustrating practices I've had in some time and I got a bit mad at myself for getting frustrated. Even through Friday's practice didn't go well I made sure that I had a much better attitude about it.
5/11 (45%) total
2/5 (45%) backchained
3/6 (50%) full
This was the first time with the new dogwalk-tunnel set-up so I started out with some backchaining but it didn't seem to matter, he was still missing quite a bit. I realize now it was nearly a week until I tried again so I must have been fairly discouraged.