Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Give Me Novacaine

There's nothing like starting out your day with a routine dental cleaning and ending it with a surprise root canal. Well, sort of surprise anyway. I went in 2 weeks ago with shooting pain in a tooth that promptly went away the day before my appointment. I thought this was good news but the dentist said no, it probably meant the tooth died but let's wait a couple of weeks until my cleaning appointment and test it again. Well 2 weeks later the tooth is not any less dead so a root canal it is. Long story short they ended up having a cancellation for the afternoon and squeezed me in so I could have it done before my insurance likely changes next month. In a way this was good because it didn't give me any time to worry about it.

Turns out it wasn't painful and similar to having a filling done except for taking longer and a bit more drilling. Just keep your eyes closed and you'll be fine. I made the mistake of opening them once to see what was going on and let me tell you that was a big mistake.

They gave me the option of listening to music but unfortunately the only reasonable choices were Tchaikovsky, Vivaldi and Bob Marley. Everything else would have been more painful than the actual root canal. I opted for Bob Marley was not put at ease when the dental assistant brought the wrong disk. If she can't figure out which CD how will she ever keep all the dental equipment straight? Also, Bob Marley is not exactly great root canal music. I need something a little more potent than 'Hope you like jammin' too' to drown out the whine screaming of the drill in my ear. I have to go back in 3 weeks for part 2 and I'll have to remember to bring my copy of American Idiot.



I know, I know, Green Day are kind of a joke, a parody of punk rock but really that was always the case from Day 1 and whether I want to admit it or not 'American Idiot' is easily one of my Top 10 favorite albums of all time, one of the best records ever made. Phew, I can't believe I said that out loud-embarrassing!-but if you don't believe me you should come to my house and listen to it on vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment