Thursday, February 02, 2012

The Things We Do For Agility

I signed up for an agility seminar so of course it means we're having a huge snowstorm.  Like 1'-2' predicted snowfall type of snowstorm.  I think it's a bad sign when the uncertainty is a full foot of snow.  I also think it's a bad sign when they're calling the storm 'potentially historic'.  Anyway, it snowed last year too and I had a couple of scary drives back and forth from Boulder to Golden.  It's only about 28 miles/40-45 mins. when the roads are clear but the road that connects Boulder to Golden is a terrible road on a good day, steep hills, a little twisty in places and right at the base of the mountains so often it gets closed for high winds.  Plus people drive like maniacs on that road.  Last year the road was shut for one of my snowy drives home because there was a fatal accident.  I got lost trying to drive home in the middle of nowhere with no view of the mountains because of the snow storm to tell me which direction I was going.

So this year I decided to drive up tonight before the snow started and stay in a hotel.  But unfortunately I think I may have stranded myself here.  They were only talking about 6"-12" when I left but somehow they changed their tune and I guess we'll see if there's really going to be 2' of snow.  I'm only entered Friday and Sunday but looks like I may have to pony up for 3 nights in a hotel if I can't make it home on Saturday.  At least the seminar entry fee was inexpensive.

At least Strum is good in hotels.  He's crashed out right now, snuggled up next to me as I type.  Lots of fun for him tomorrow.  Hopefully the snow won't get too crazy.  Or historic.

5 comments:

  1. Here's wishing you a happy seminar and safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. Finally made it home tonight after 2 nights in a hotel. One more day tomorrow but the roads were dry driving home so should be o.k. tomorrow morning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If we got that much snow here, the whole city would be shut down for a week. I certainly wouldnt be going to a seminar. LOL Good luck, I hope everything goes ok.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Colorado knows how to deal with snow, that's for sure. The plows were out with a vengeance everywhere. Roads were completely dry within hours of the storm ending and the sun coming out because they were plowed so well. Even during the storm the roads were plowed well considering the huge amount of snow. Boulder supposedly got 21", not sure about Golden/Lakewood where I was but it was probably close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was thinking about you when hearing about the monster snow storm in colorado through the weekend. Glad you survived.

    ReplyDelete