Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Week in Training

Not sure what happened this week but it was dismal for training.  You'd think with having to miss the DOCNA trial over the weekend that I'd have made up for it with training but the weather was not inspiring, high in the teens on Saturday, low 20's on Sunday and cloudy/overcast with that midwestern damp chill in the air.  I did pull out the fleece and the Yax Trax and HTFU on Sunday for short trail run but it was too little too late.

Was a good week for work/clients though, had some interesting sessions including the artist.  Unfortunately his exhibit won't be shown locally, only in New York and LA so I won't get to see the final product in person but hopefully some of it will be up on a website at some point.

Strum was going 2 days with no limp then I'd see a limp then 2 more days, then a limp so I broke down and had Jonny bring his crate back into the house.  I'm not crating him full time, just at night and when I'm not home, but Saturday morning was the  last time I saw a limp so I think he's on the mend.  I'm also doing what I can to limit his crazy running around the house and yard and I shut him off from the bedroom so he can't fly on and off the bed.  Surprisingly he's being a good sport about  it all.  I think he missed his crate, he likes going in there especially at night but it's so big and my bedroom is so small, I'm not happy to have it back.  The one plus side to all of this is that there's still so much snow on the ground we couldn't practice anyway even if we wanted to.  Still, I was sad to miss a DOCNA trial only 20 minutes from my house.

I found a worrying lump on Lola on Sunday night, different from the ones I normally find, and brought her into the vet yesterday but thankfully it seems to be harmless.  My regular vet only works part time so it's pretty much guaranteed that I can never get in to see her on short notice so I had to see her partner.  I figured it was pretty straight forward to stick a needle into a lump so I was o.k. with it but still I wish I could find a full time vet that I liked.  This guy was o.k. I guess and at least he didn't keep me waiting the typical 15-40 minutes that the regular vet does which is always super fun when you have dogs that don't like being at the vet.  But the exam he did on her wasn't very thorough, just felt her lymph nodes and listened to her heart.  Hardly seemed worth the $49 he charged on top of the fees for the needle aspirate and culture exam.  He was nice though and very good with her.

I discovered a new Xterra race in Colorado, Xterra Pueblo.  It's on Sept. 9 so the points would count for 2013, not this year's Nationals but still it might be fun.  On the other hand, could be HOT.  Like in the 90's hot.  That would be not so very fun.  Pueblo is about 2 1/4 hours to the south of Boulder and it can run up to 10 degrees hotter down there.  Also it's 2 weeks after Xterra Lory, 2 weeks before Nationals so could be a bit much for me both physically and financially.

After all the hemming and hawing I did sign up for the Xterra Mountain Champs. in Beaver Creek.  I'm glad I did, it's partly what motivated the intervals last week and will keep me motivated these last few weeks of winter.

Had my regular chiropractor do the adjustment on my knee that the dog chiropractor normally does.  I don't think he likes doing that particular adjustment but I pleaded with him since I didn't want to go to the expense of taking Lola to the dog chiropractor on top of all the other vet expenses right now.  He's a good guy and agreed to do it and did a few others as well so my knee is feeling much better and I'll get back to running more this week.  I think maybe I was avoiding running last week since my knee was bothering me after 2 1/2 days of agility.

Swim:  7200 yards/3 hours

Mountain bike:  none

Run:  5.37 miles/1 hours, 22 mins.

Total training time: 4 hours, 23 mins.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh, hope you're right that Strummer's on the mend. I'd love to have a trial 20 minutes from my house and it would make me crazy, too, to miss it due to anyone's gimpiness.

    Dogs who don't like vets--Tika now gets a tranquilizer half an hour before we leave to go to the vet, and I leave her in the car until right up to when the vet is ready to see her. Poor drama queen.

    ReplyDelete