Monday, March 05, 2012

Week in Training

Another good training week, especially good for running which is what I need to focus on.  Got in all the swims and runs I was hoping for.  Unfortunately no biking because Sunday's planned long ride turned into a hike due to high winds.  There was no way I was going out in that wind for 3 hours.  Instead we hiked for 3 1/4 hours at Heil Ranch where we were sheltered from the wind in the trees.  A beautiful hike, dry trails and no problem with the wind which is grating on everybody's nerves these days.  Normally I don't count hiking as part of my training but I did treat it more like a training session than a La De Da hike, moving faster than my normal stroll.  Not quite up to the level of Power Hiking but it was nearly 9 miles so I picked a good pace for that distance.  I was so sore afterwards so I decided darn it, I'm going to count it.  It's not a replacement for running or biking but right now I'm working on base building and it's great for that as well as strength so I'm counting it this time.

I did get out for a long bike today.  Beautiful 60 degree weather and it was supposed to be calm but I got about 12 miles from home on the dirt roads out east and the freight train winds started up again so I decided to bail and head home.  After a horrible slog uphill into the wind for miles, just as I got to the end of the big hill, the winds died.  So I took a longer route home on some trails.  After today this will be a step back week.  I have an agility trial this weekend and it's USDAA Team so I'd like to not be exhausted and try to qualify for Nat's. and do a good job for the team.

Strum had another great week of no limping.  I alternated 2 mile runs, 3 mile walks and recovery 2 mile walks and he did great.  On Sunday I put him over some single jumps and a set of 6 weaves in my yard and he had no problems.  No limping afterwards so far.  He was so excited to play with his toys.  The big challenge this weekend will be to keep him from going crazy when he finally gets to play.  I'll take him to the practice field this week for a very short practice to get him on the equipment and get those agility muscles moving but he'll have an easy week as well.  Right now I'm convinced all he had was a simple strain like the vet suggested and he just needed some time to rest.  Going forward I'm going to be careful about how many runs he does in a day at trials and limit his training even more than I already do so hopefully it won't recur.  Unfortunately he has 4 1/2 classes on Friday for Team but there's not much I can do about that.  I pulled him from all his titling runs so he only has Grand Prix and Steeplechase on Saturday and no runs on Sunday.  I'd love to get out of Novice but for now qualifying for Nat's. takes priority.

Swim:  6750 yards/3 hours

Mountain bike:  None

Run:  13.99 miles/3 hours, 20 mins.

Hiking:  8.7 miles/3 hours, 15 mins.

Total training time: 9 hours, 35 mins. (3 hours 15 mins. of which are hiking - Heil Ranch)

4 comments:

  1. 9 miles of hiking that causes that much soreness totally counts for training! Think of it at strength work :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the nationals qualifiers this weekend. Glad Strum is looking OK.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that hike wiped me out for the rest of the day. Was fun though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now there is some great news about Strummer. Wonderful to hear!

    ReplyDelete