Monday, June 13, 2011

Week in Training

Numbers are looking a bit better this week.  I was hoping to be up over 8 hours for total training time but didn't quite pull it off.  I was done with my class last weekend but signed up for a seminar so once again spent the weekend indoors on my butt.  I did get up in the 5 ish hour on Sat. morning and got a run in before I scooted off to class but it was only 25 minutes.  During my Friday bike ride I planned to go to the evening masters workout but I pushed it a bit on the bike and once I'd had that shower I didn't have it in me to get in the car and go get sweaty and full of chlorine again just 1 1/2 hours later.  I was tired too, probably wouldn't have been a productive workout anyway.  Aside from one day of an agility trial in 2 weeks I've got weekends free for a good bit so those numbers should work their way back up.

Finally broke 2 hours for my standard mountain bike route, previous best had been just under 2:09.  I've been working on higher cadence/lower resistance and this paid off right away in a faster time.

Started up with running this week, 4 minutes running/1 minute walking.  Started at 20 minutes total and finished the week at 25.  Chiro. told me I could shuffle and take tiny little steps, no overstriding.  This is more important for me than avoiding the heel striking.  It started out being incredibly frustrating but I'm adapting, getting a little quicker with it with each run.  Best part though is the hamstring and piriformis are doing great.  No pain doing ordinary things and only very slight hamstring pain when running.  Really barely even pain.

My training program from Training Peaks starts this week.  I'll have to modify the running workouts because of the hamstring strain/recovery and I want to swim in the Rez as much as I can so I don't know that I'll follow their swim workouts too closely but I'm going to follow the main structure of the workouts in terms of types of workouts and volume.  Already the cadence drill stuff that they gave me in a handout is proving useful.  There are lot of other drills to read through and try for swimming and biking.  But I don't think it's realistic for me to follow the workouts down to the last detail.

I did finally get a swim in at the Rez.  The water was a balmy 63 degrees on Tuesday and I managed the 1000 meter loop no problem.  I did some visualizing for my hands to be warm and have great circulation and this helped as well.  No white fingers this time.  Could have gone further but didn't want to push my luck for the first swim of the season.  Thursday was cold (50 degree air temp.), cloudy and drizzling and I decided to bag that idea.  Tomorrow should be nice though and hopefully the water will have gone up a few degrees.  There was a chick on Tuesday that went in with no wet suit, now that is hardcore.

Swim:  3700 yards/1 hour, 33 mins.

Mountain bike:  43.5 miles/4 hours, 5 minutes

Run:  5.74 miles/1 hour, 27 mins. (4 min. run/1 min. walk)

Total training time: 7 hours, 5 mins.

118.2 lbs (-.2 lbs.)

4 comments:

  1. Great job - sounds like you are right on track!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the time improvements and on working on that stride. And on getting in the water. And I understand about showering and then not wanting another workout. I'll sometimes let myself get a little too gross because I know that if I shower now, I won't want to [fill in the blank with anything even marginally active].

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:31 PM

    you can do everyday things with no pain! hooray!
    debie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know, how awesome is that? Now if I can just get back to running normally.

    ReplyDelete