Thursday, October 02, 2008

DOCNA Champs Warm-Up Trial

Another disappointing hike in Prescott National Forest at Lynx Lake this morning, just 1 1/2 miles because Cody launched a protest right at the start. I felt like he needed some kind of minimal exercise and the other dogs certainly needed something but I fretted over whether he was injured or would be too tired for his agility run later in the day or whether his pads were sore from walking on the rocks or or or. . . Yes, I know, I'm neurotic, worry worry worry.

Today was a warm-up trial for DOCNA Championships. It was a real trial, not a fun match type thing, and the Q's counted towards titles. I only entered the dogs in standard so they could get a feel for the ring and equipment but not fry themselves out with 4 days of agility in a row. The course had a few challenge areas, both of them coming out of the straight yellow tunnel under the A-frame. I handled Lola with a blind cross after the first pass through the tunnel and that didn't work so great. I botched the cross and got in her way but she pulled it off, just. I suppose if I'm going to do blind crosses in trials I should actually practice them now and again. I did a rear cross for Cody and it worked nicely. I'm not sure it would have worked so well for Lola, I've been having problems with them in situations like that and we need some practice. The second pass through the tunnel was a horse race if you couldn't do a turn off the A-frame into the tunnel without some distance which I can't with Cody. We practiced this very thing before Champs because I knew it would come up but there's only so much I can do with a 10 year old dog. It was a struggle to get him in the tunnel and when I finally did I realized how far behind I'd be when he came out and swore to myself under my breath-right in front of the judge. Doh. I hoped she wouldn't call it, I was quiet and swearing at myself, not the dog who was in the tunnel at the time but still you never know how a judge will react. After his run I saw her consulting with the woman running the trial and I thought 'oh great' but as it turned out they were talking about something else and she didn't call me on it. Phew. Let's see if I can keep my potty mouth under control for the rest of the trial though. That would be a good plan. Both dogs ended up with fast, clean runs and first places though Lola was the only dog in her class (20" vet) and Cody had only 4 dogs or so in his class (16" vet). I was really happy with how they were running, especially Lola who was 20 seconds under course time. If they run like that for the rest of Champs I'll be thrilled. Tomorrow is a full day, better get some rest.


  1. Congrats on the fast clean runs. It's always a pleasure for me to be able to say that. On the video: Nice sit-stay, and I loved the arms in the air at the end!

  2. That is a habit from the triathlon /marathon world. You cross the finish line of a big race and throw your arms in the air for your finish line photo.