Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Apparently I Still Know How to Swim

I went back to masters last night and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Last time I went was the beginning of June when I decided I was taking the summer off from the pool and swam laps around the Boulder Reservoir with the Tues./Thurs. morning masters group. Because they'd switched the already early times to even earlier (6:15-7:30 a.m.) than last year I had many workout where I didn't get much yardage in, maybe 1 lap/900-1000 yards or so then had to get out. Then it got too cold for me and I don't think I swam at all the entire month of Sept. then got sick and had our vacation for Oct. and only last night finally felt up to going back to my regular workouts. I was dreading it all day and almost chickened out because once you get out of shape with the swimming it's so hard to claw your way back. It's painful and you can't keep up with the lane and the coach will yell at you for missing so many workouts and wah wah wah. But it turned out there were some newbies there who were even slower than me so the intervals were doable for me and it turns out I haven't lost nearly as much as I thought I did. We'll see how Thursday's workout goes, I've still got a ways to go before I'll feel good in the pool again but it wasn't nearly that bad and today it feels good to feel a little fatigue in my arms and shoulders. Maybe at some point I'll even have some upper body strength again. In the end I swam 45 minutes, 2250 yards. Thursday I'll gut out the whole workout.

No comments:

Post a Comment