Thursday, May 24, 2012

Any Facebook experts out there?

It's not just the internet that is forever.  An old punk rocker friend from England from way back in the day found me on Facebook and posted a photo I took and apparently sent him.  Way back in the day.  At least 25 years ago.  And somehow this photo that he scanned and posted comes up on my Facebook page.  Now he's a nice guy and I'm glad he found me and I'm already feeling bad because I'm so crap at Facebook that it took me months to realize he'd sent me a message asking if it was me and he thought he was doing a nice thing posting the photo so I don't want to ask him to take it down.  But I really don't want to see a photo of a bunch of dorky kids wearing 'Chicago Straight Edge' varsity letter jackets every time I open my Facebook nor do I really want to be associated with it.  I took the photo to show the irony of so-called 'punk rockers' wearing the uniform of the conformist football jocks.  The strict rules, rigid dress codes and thuggery/violence of many in the straight edge crowd in Chicago annoyed me and I certainly never identified with them either back then or now so to see that photo on my Facebook home page is both ironic and irritating.  But I can't figure out how to get rid of it.  Help??!!

4 comments:

  1. When you look at the picture, at the bottom there should be an 'Options' link. If you choose that, one of the options is to Remove the Tag - that should get rid of it.
    I am not a big fan of 'tagging' facebook pictures, as people can tag whatever they want and suddenly it shows up in your feed. Pictures that you might not want anyone to see can be on public display real easy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A million thanks, that did the trick!!! Phew, delivered from the ghosts of straight edge past.

    I agree, I hate that Facebook lets photos appear on your home page or in posts that you didn't even take or post. I never put tags on my photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There should be a privacy setting in your FB settings that allows you to prevent anyone from tagging you, thereby eliminating this from happening in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip, I'll see if I can find the setting. Though it still doesn't stop people from posting random photos of me with embarrassing 80's punk rock hair. Can't remember what else I might have sent the guy all those years ago. But at least my name won't be right on the photo.

    ReplyDelete