Thursday, April 10, 2008

This is why I always carry spare underwear with me

I got to my physical therapy appointment 15 minutes early and the therapist spotted me just as I as settiling into a fascinating tome on the latest trials & tribulations of Britney Spears. She was still working on another patient but told me that as long as I was there I could get on an exercise bike and warm up my foot. At first this sounded like a good alternative to rotting my brain with People magazine but the thing is it was 11:00 a.m. and I had to go back to work after therapy. But I'm wearing jeans and clogs so how crazy can I possibly get on an exercise bike especially if I put the resistance setting to super easy. I'll just spin and warm up my foot. 20 minutes later I was covered in sweat, even my hair, and I think this is one of the main reasons I hate working out indoors so much. I went to the changing rooms to clean up a bit and my bra was soaking wet, no way I was putting that back on. My shirt was sweaty too but maybe it would dry out by the time I got back to work. Sadly this is not nearly the first time I've walked around with a soggy bra in my jeans pocket. I usually carry spare underwear with me for this very sort of occasion. Of course they usually come flying out of my bag at the most inopportune moment like the time I was in the fancy offices of the financial planner and I reached into my bag for the important financial papers that would help him determine if I would ever have any hope of retiring without having to eat cat food and along with the important financial papers came a pair of underwear. At least they were in somewhat decent condition and didn't have any holes.

Of course I'd only just cleaned out my big bag o' crap and had decided that since I'm not likely to be going for a lunch time run or out to a job site in 98 degree heat anytime soon that maybe I didn't need to be carting around the spare underwear right now so I was S.O.L. This was also an inopportune time to decide to experiment with giving up on deodorant (the aluminum is bad, or so I'm told). Luckily there is a shower at work. I figured if I hung the bra up in the car and drove with the windows down it should be dry by the time I get back to work. If not there's a deck outside our office where I could leave it to dry. Or is that unprofessional? Thankfully it was dry by the time I got to work so I didn't have to ponder the point too hard. In the end I decided to skip the shower and wash up over the sink. If my undies are sweaty there's no way I'm putting them back on after a shower and while it wouldn't be the first time I'm really not in the mood for going commando at work for the rest of the day. It's only a few hours then I'm going to the pool and I'll have to shower again anyway. Slightly sticky with undies beats squeaky clean with no undies any day. Am I the only one who faces these sorts of decisions during an average work day?

This morning I wised up and wore workout clothes to therapy and tonight I'm restocking my bag with clean underwear. You just never know when it will come in handy.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:35 PM

    Thanks for the laugh. I'm still recovering from a fit of giggles over the farting stereo speaker, and now I have visions of soggy bras, going commando at work and you traveling around with a stockpile of fresh undies that would make any mother proud.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes, I face those challenges at work every day. Fortunately, I work at home, so when my office staff (me) can't stand the smell of sweat or the sopping wet unmentionables, I send myself to the bedroom to change. Life is hard here!

    -ellen

    ReplyDelete