Sunday, July 29, 2012

Colorado Trail at Buffalo Creek

I forgot how much I love this trail and it's only a 1 1/2 hour drive.  It's mostly smooth single track, only one really hairy short technical rocky part that I have to walk and a few steepy bits with roots that I have to walk on the uphill because I can't quite muscle my way up but otherwise all ride-able.   Lots of uppy downy, some good steep lung busting climbs here and there.  Elevation goes from around 7200'-8100', not sure about total elevation gain.  It was fun though, such a perfect day.

Normally when I do this trail I turn around at the Green Mountain Loop but this time I was feeling good and decided to add it on.  It's another 4.3 miles or so for the Green Mountain loop and a climb that goes about 600' in about 1 3/4 miles plus some short locally steep climbs. 


And some nice views.


I didn't stop very often or take many pictures, didn't want to disturb the flow of the ride.  It's more exhausting to start and stop a lot then to keep on riding, for me anyway.

In all it was 17.7 miles in 2 hours, 45 minutes.  This is about the same distance and a little higher elevation than Nationals but not nearly as much climbing.  Still some good practice on a fun trail.  Will have to try to go back in the fall.  I noticed lots of aspen stands, I'll bet they're beautiful when the leaves are changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment