Monday, January 16, 2006

Training Week 1/16/2006

Monday:
Walk 40 mins./1 1/2 miles w/ Lola
Swim 2650 yards/1 1/4 hours (masters w/ Roger, N. Bldr. Rec.)

Roger gave me some tips for the butterfly. I have a 'pause' in my arm stroke and need to take 2 kicks per stroke. I worked on making the arm stroke more fluid w/ no pause and keeping the kicks in rythm w/ the arm stroke. My breathing is off too, I need to breathe earlier in the stroke. That's the hardest thing to adjust, somehow I can't time it all quite right.

Agility:
Took Lola to Biscuit Eaters after work. I intended to work her contacts a few times then leave but it was so cold that she was really keen to run so we worked on some jumping drills as well. I'm trying to teach her some 'precues' for turning and front crosses as well as reinforcing her 'go on' verbal cue for gamblers so she doesn't always interpret me hanging back at a jump as a cue to turn.

The contact training isn't going very well. The first few repetitions on the dog walk were o.k. but not as fast as I wanted. Then she started stopping/creeping on the down ramp. I just can't seem to get her to drive down quickly to the target so I think it's back to some target work away from the equipment so she's running enthusiastically to the target. Same with the A-frame, first rep. was o.k. then she was sightseeing on subsequent reps.

I worked on her recall during a lunch time walk as well. I was trying to use her tennis ball as a distraction but that's too big a distraction for now, we'll have to work up to that. I've also been working on her leash pulling by turning around and walking the other way as soon as she pulls. I managed to get her past a squirrel's nest and 3 loose squirrels with her just on her flat collar so that was progress. Hopefully working on these issues will help with her focus on the agility field.

Wednesday:
2 mile walk w/ Strummer/Cody around Wonderland Lake.

Thursday:
Master swim workout (Jane, S. Boulder Rec.) around 2200 yards

Friday:
Nada, knee is bothering me, can barely straighten leg, feels unstable like it's popping out of place

Sat./Sun.:
Knee still bothering me so I decide to cancel planned skiing trip. Went to see the Border Collie herding competition at the National Western Stock Show in Denver. Very cool, though it looks pretty difficult. Strummer may have the natural talent for it but I'm not sure I do. It was a cultural experience, to say the least.

I did around 2 miles total casual walking/ambling down at the Rez w/ the dogs.

Weekly Totals:
Swim: 4850 yards/2 1/2 hours
Bike: zip
Run: zip
Walk: 5 1/2 miles/ 2 hours

I actually did more walking with one dog or the other on my lunch hours but I'm not going to track it 'cause I'm lazy and don't remember it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment