Tuesday, July 05, 2005

Hey Baby, It's the 4th of July

Had a great trip to the doctor, she cleared me for all activities except running. Even agility is o.k. as long as I don't get too crazy and keep the running to a minimum. Before she told me August before I could start up with that so I'm pretty happy. There are a number of trials in August that I want to do so I'll have a full month to prepare and see if we'll be ready.

I'm also toying with the idea of an off road sprint triathlon at the end of August. I did it last year so I know what's involved. The trail run is only a 5k and it was so freakin' steep it was more of a hike really so it almost seems doable. Probably a stupid idea though, lots of opportunities to slip and fall on the steep rocky trail. But the swim and bike should be no problem. The trail's not too technical unless you go bombing down it but I suppose there are a few tight switchbacks that are iffy and there's always the rattlesnakes. I'll wait 'til the last possible moment to sign up and if it fills, oh well. I've tried running for short distance, like running across a street, and it's a little painful like it was when I started walking but I'm sure once I use those muscles a little more I'll be fine.

Haven't started back at agility yet but I will this week. I want to ease the dogs in slowly, they're in good physical shape but haven't been using those specific jumping and weave pole muscles.

Had a great 3 day weekend but maybe I'm overdoing it a bit. The PT said best thing was to push myself a little then back off if it's too much. Doctor says let pain be my guide so I'm trying to balance them all out.

Saturday, July 2
Rode my mountain bike up 4 Mile Canyon in Boulder. This is mostly a paved road that turns into smooth dirt. It's mostly a steady climb but there are a few good steep spots to get your heart rate going but nothing my granny gear can't handle. It never gets so bad that I'm out of the saddle or grinding on my quads. I climbed for about 13 miles then decided enough was enough. It's a beautiful ride but gets a bit monotonous, especially since it's all on roads. I was just happy to be able to get out in the mountains to be honest.

I was pretty trashed afterwards, spent the rest of the day on the couch. Absolutely pathetic but I'm going to have to be patient.

26 miles, 2:50 hours

Sunday, July 3
Hike up to Isabelle Lake in the Indian Peaks Wilderness Area. This is one of my favorite hikes and I like to take visitors there since it's got breathtaking views and doesn't require a huge physical effort. It's about 1 1/2 miles one way, we tacked on about another 1/2 mile or so. Like my bike ride yesterday, it's mostly a gradual climb with a few steep, challenging bits to keep it interesting. The last bit before the lake is pretty steep and rocky. We took the dogs and it was a little challenging to keep Lola from pulling me over, especially during the small stream crossing, but I've been working on an 'easy' command with her and for the most part she listened to me. We had to cross a snow bank and Cody lost his freakin' mind, running around and having fits like a crazed puppy. Snow in summer makes him crazy with joy for some bizarre reason. Lola had a few digging fits too, excavating holes then shoving her head right in them, then lying down and sliding upside down down the snowbank. Those two are a regular comedy team. Lots of other hikers were admiring them, asking what breed they were. I love telling people they're mutts from the pound.

We stopped at the lake to take in the views and have an energy bar then both dogs and husband got ants in their pants and we had to move on. At around the halfway point on the trip back I felt like I'd had enough but what could I do, I had to get back. Normally this hike is something I'd do during a rest day or a taper, I'd barely even count it for anything so I didn't think I was really pushing myself all that much. I guess it was a bit much on top of yesterday. Rest and an ice pack for the rest of the day.

4 miles/1:50 hours hiking

Monday, July 4
Woke up with some stiff calves but the fracture area that was sore yesterday felt fine. Decided to take it easy on my legs today. Rode by bike 20 minutes (ez pace) to the Boulder Rez for a swim. It's my first open water swim which is usually a little nerve wracking but it's also my first swim using my legs to kick. Up 'til now I've been pulling with a pull buoy. I wore my full wetsuit to help a little and decided to swim parallel to shore in water that wasn't above my head. I got fed up with that pretty quickly as I had to dodge beach balls and little kids so I got up the nerve to head to deeper water. There are a number of rafts around the swimming area so I swam back and forth between raft and shore. I only stopped to rest at the raft once but mentally it was nice to know I could rest. I stopped everytime I hit shallow water to rest a little. After 1/2 an hour I'd had enough. I'm going to go back to masters this week, I just can't stand swimming for very long on my own.

Riding back with a wet towel and wetsuit was interesting. Somehow my back survived.

Spent about 1 1 /2 hours doing yard work (clearing up old piles of leaves and weeding). I don't think my back survived that.

Boulder's 4th of July fireworks are pretty lame so we don't put too much effort into going to see them. The neighbors gather on a sidewalk at the top of a hill with a perfect view and this is good enough for us. It's about 1 1/2 miles of walking round trip. And yes, the display was very lame this year. At least the city's not wasting our tax dollars.

1/2 hour swimming
40 minutes biking
1 1/2 miles walking

No comments:

Post a Comment