Friday, July 22, 2005

Toasty!!!

O.k., no more depressing subjects for a while. We've been having some record breaking, 105 degree weather this week but it's not been bothering me all that much. Of course it helps that I work in an air conditioned office all day. I went for a few lunch time bike rides this week and it wasn't too bad. I must be a lizard. It's 77.5 degrees in my office right now and I'm perfectly comfortable. The only problem is the dogs, it's way too hot for them to do anything other than in the early morning or late evening. I set up my agility equipment in the yard but the yard is so small all we can practice is individual obstacles. Because we don't have room to build up any speed it's hard to practice handling moves though I've been working on front and rear crosses on the A-frame, teeter and weave poles. But since the dogs aren't going full speed it's just not quite the same as what happens when you're running a full course. The practice field is only 12 minutes away and I could realistically go back out there once it cools down at night but I've been too lazy. It's so hard to move once I'm home and that butt hits the couch.

I've been backing off of things a bit, trying to keep my exercise down to my 2 mile morning dog walk then one other activity, either 1/2 hour swim or 30-60 minute bike with a 2-2 1/2 hour ride on the weekends (no more climbing up the canyon either). This seems to be working since I haven't had much pain walking lately and my short bits of running for agility are getting better.

I'm gearing up for a camping trip with some friends this weekend. It's the first time camping for the dogs and I'm not sure how that will go. We may end up driving home at 3 a.m. if the beasties can't behave. I can't believe all the crap we're hauling up for one night. When did we get so high maintenance? Somehow at one point in our lives we managed to hike over the Continental Divide with a 112 pound Akita and everything we needed on our backs. Now I'm wondering how all the crap is going to fit in the car. Yes, this is only car camping, not backpacking, and it seems like it'll be worse than trying to coordinate all the gear you would need for an Ironman. It's going to be fun though, hiking and Xtreme badminton and who knows what else. It'll be nice to escape the heat too. And if you don't hear from me on Monday, send in the search and rescue tapirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment