Thursday, April 12, 2007

You'd Think I'd Signed Up for a Marathon or Something

A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to run the Canine Classic 5k out at the Boulder Rez as a sort of goal to shoot for. Typically I pay my entry fee right when I pick a race because then I can't back out and it gives me something to aim for. However, I wanted to be sure I could at least finish the distance comfortably with no injury issues before signing up. The race doesn't typically fill and if it did, heck, 5k's are a dime a dozen. Race day is this Sunday and somehow it crept up on me. I can easily knock off 3.1 miles but not very quickly so I've been hemming and hawing about entering. On the one hand it would be nice to see where I'm at with my running but on the other hand I have a good guess where I'm at (sucksville) so do I really need to pay $30, a princely sum for a measly 5k, just to finish back of the pack and confirm my suspicions? On the other hand I like doing this race with Lola. On the other hand I can run at the Rez with Lola for free any day of the week. On the other hand (this went on for many hands), oh for crying out loud it's a stupid 5k just register already. So I did and now I've gone from dreading the thought of it to kind of looking forward to it.

There's a huge snowstorm predicted for tomorrow, 5"-10" supposedly. The ground is so warm though and predictions are for 50's-60's on Sat. & Sun. so it should be melted and dried out in time. Or maybe we'll have a mudfest, who knows? One year I did this race and sleet was blowing sideways across the Rez and into my face. Another year it was in the 70's. Such is springtime in Colorado.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:08 AM

    Yes, you're in that wonderful space again, Elayne - obsessing about the race weather (even if heavy snow does sound like proper justification, to be frank).

    Welcome back !

    ReplyDelete