Wednesday, March 10, 2021

The Needle Tears a Hole

It's turning out to be a mostly happy and productive week. We arrived at the Ute's free COVID vaccination clinic an hour early and there was already a pretty good line going but they decided to start a half hour early and everything went very quickly and efficiently. All told it took about an hour twenty minutes plus 35 minutes of driving. SO grateful to the Utes for sharing their excess vaccine with the community, I was probably 4-6 weeks from being eligible for a vaccine never mind when I actually would have gotten the shot in my arm. The Utes accepted all comers 18 and over so this was a great opportunity and the community took full advantage of it. The woman in front of me in line had come all the way from Telluride, about 2 hours away. When I left at 9:48 (clinic was supposed to start at 9:30) the line snaked around the parking lot seemingly forever. So glad we decided to go early. I hope everyone who wanted a shot got one eventually. 

Huge thanks to the Utes for their wonderful generosity.

By the afternoon I was feeling feisty so I decided to go for a short, easy run just to stretch my legs and get some sunshine. But my knees felt good and the music got me a little carried away so the run ended up being harder than I was intending. I wasn't tired or sore but about 20 minutes after I got home I had multiple rapid fire sneezing attacks which were very strange. I've never sneezed so violently and so many times in succession. At first I thought maybe something had crawled into the crawl space under the house and died and I was allergic to it. I do have seasonal allergies sometimes, especially since I've moved out here, but never with sneezing like that. I had several bouts of sneezing attacks throughout the evening and a couple good sneezes this morning but now it seems to have passed. Had to have had something to do with the vaccine and maybe also with the run lowering my immune response. I had no runny nose at all which is something I always have with my seasonal allergies. Very strange but thankfully seems to have passed. Other than that I had a mildly sore, achy arm, not too bad compared to how sore my arms get from weight lifting, and no other symptoms. Jonny had more severe arm pain and is woozy this morning. He had a good nap this morning after our not very long dog walk. I'm going to take a rest day today even though I'm feeling feisty again. I go back in a month (this was the Moderna vaccine) for the second shot and after that one I'll absolutely have a rest day or two.

I'm looking forward to going back to the pool. It'll be mid-April until I have full immunity but I may not wait until then. Our local infection rates seem to have stalled and the pool is taking good precautions so I think I finally feel good about going back, at least for very short swims to get back into it. I may enter a race in June in Arizona, I'll see how things go. Base training for biking and running feels good but the swimming, ugh, that's going to be a long haul.

I also managed to finish getting my tax info. together for the tax preparer. This is always a major stressor for me, I hate that kind of paperwork. And I finally managed to write a comment to the forest service about the logging slated to take place at Boggy Draw. This has been very nauseous making for me for the past month or so, keeping me up at night and worrying me throughout the day. My beloved Boggy Draw is slated to be logged as part of a 10 YEAR logging project. Awful. Nauseous making. Those woods and trails are one of the main reasons we moved here. I can't believe it. But here we are. The Forest Service is taking comments, this is National Forest land so anybody can comment. If anybody is inclined to comment you can do so here, it's very easy: https://cara.ecosystem-management.org/Public//CommentInput?Project=57671

The bike club has a lot of information about the project and the issues in this post: https://www.facebook.com/swcocycling/posts/3924110237610920

In short, the main issues are that they are going to open logging roads that will cross the trails, bringing heavy logging traffic right through the recreation area and destroying the trails. They're also going to log in the recreation area, forever changing the scenery. The area will be closed to the public due to logging as well. If they were going to do the right thing they should leave the whole recreation area out of the logging plan, preserve the trails, re-route the logging traffic around the recreation area. There are other issues but those are the ones that keep me up at night. Comments are due by this Friday, March 12.

 



In happier news I took a little day trip to Hovenweep over the weekend. Such a beautiful, special place. And they allow dogs. Ruby was pretty happy but Tess, well, she sees Dead People everywhere that isn't home.








I better publish this post before I run out of Mediocre Internet and enter the realm of Hillbilly Internet. I just found out there's a virtual public meeting tonight over Boggy Draw and I need to save those gigs.

No comments:

Post a Comment